Sep 24, 2014

My First 5K Walk: The Blacklight Run

    I experienced my first 5k walk this weekend at the Blacklight Run. The Blacklight Run is a unique 5k that focuses on glow in the dark powder and neon glow sticks. The purpose of the 5k is to raise money for the local Children's Hospital. I really enjoyed the experience the music was upbeat and loud and the walk was really fun. I was a little sore since I didn't train much but I'm ready for my next 5k! I had such a good time and it was a great bonding experience for us. I wanted to share a few tips to completely your first 5k.


  • Make sure you have adequate clothing and shoes to complete the 5k. I suggest purchasing some shoes that are made strictly for running or walking. Wear clothing that's easy to move in preferably fitness pants.
  • Arrive early. The traffic was a beast and you don't want to be late for the walk. 
  • Start light walks weeks before your 5k. Start off slow maybe starting with a mile and slowly increasing your step.
  • Come prepared. For me that meant bringing gum, my own personal water, a towel, and a little cash.
  • Take your time. The thing I loved about this race was that it was fun it wasn't very serious about time and how fast you finished the race.
  • Respect those who do choose to run by staying on the side designated for walkers also respect those with strollers. If you are a slow walker stay in the designated lane for walkers it's the same as driving you have to share the track and respect others.
  • Bring a family member or friend. Having someone to experience this with makes the miles go by quickly.
  • Have fun. For me once I completed the walk. I felt a sense of accomplishment and I'm already looking forward to the Race for a Cure 5k in October.

blacklight 5k run memphis,tn

blacklight 5k run memphis,tn


blacklight 5k run memphis,tn



blacklight 5k run memphis,tn


blacklight 5k run memphis,tn


blacklight 5k run memphis,tn

blacklight 5k run memphis,tn

blacklight 5k run memphis,tn






www.blacklightrun.com


No comments: